By Jovan Krstevski
Every year, Chopard introduces a new collection of limited edition watches for Mille Miglia race, as they are official partner of the annual 1000 Miglia race. This year, it is time for Chopard to show two Mille Miglia Zagato Chronograph GMT models with one of them featuring a combination of black DLC body with rose gold bezel.
If you now have an eye on the watch industry, you know that these models are not entirely new. Chopard has been re-designed this model for years offering it with the same tri-compax dial and an “easy to read” GMT hand that tells time pointing at the bezel with its 24-hour scale.
This year Chopard had decided to change the movement that powers the watch. Last year’s version was powered by ETA Valgranges A07.171 automatic caliber, this one is powered by a different engine. This year Chopard doesn’t reveal what kind of movement they use for its models, but, one can guess (25 jewels, 28,800 vph, 46 hours power reserve and GMT complication). ETA Valjoux 7754 maybe? And like always the LE watches comes with an COSC-certified chronometer movement, which gives you an reliable and accurate timekeeping.
The 2013 Mille Miglia Zagato Chronograph GMT Limited Edition is 42 millimeters in diameter and 13 millimeters high, which is a good size for the most wrists out there. The dial is very easy to read and as for the chronograph, which is to operate with the pair of push-buttons that are placed as usual at 2 and 4 hours.
The Mille Miglia Zagato is issued in a 500-piece limited series with the DLC steel Mille Miglia Zagato Chronograph priced at $8,100 and the rose gold two toned model at $9,900. The watch is exclusively available through Chopard boutiques and Chopard e-commerce.
Overall, these two models are keeping up the good looking and timeless design of Mille Miglia watches. If you have the money to spend on one of these or even both so make sure to do it as quickly as possible.
Mille Miglia Zagato – Two world united by the same passion presented by Chopard
168550-3004 – 500-piece limited edition in DLC-coated steel
168550-6001– 500-piece two-tone limited edition
- DLC-coated steel
- Total diameter 42.50 mm
- Thickness 14.85 mm
- Water resistance 50 metres
- Crown in DLC-coated steel with “Z” logo
- Pushers in DLC-coated steel or 18-carat rose gold
- Bezel in DLC-coated steel or 18-carat rose gold with red aluminium insert
- Glareproofed sapphire crystal
- Solid DLC-coated steel back with 1000 Miglia arrow logo and Zagato inscription
- Mechanical self-winding chronograph
- Total diameter 30.40 mm
- Number of jewels 25
- Thickness 7.90 mm
- Power reserve 46 hours
- Frequency 28,800 vph (4Hz)
- Chronometer-certified (COSC)
Dial and hands:
- Silver-toned or black dial with “Z” logo and snailed black counters at 12, 6 and 9 o’clock
- Black or gold-toned hour and minute hands enhanced with Superluminova
- Red-tipped centre sweep-seconds hand
- Black GMT hand with Superluminova-enhanced tip
- White counter pointers
Functions and displays:
- Hours and minutes displayed by central hands
- Small seconds at 9 o’clock
- Central dual-time display
- 30-minute counter at 12 o’clock, 12-hour counter at 6 o’clock and centre sweep-seconds hand
- Date window at 3 o’clock
Strap and clasp:
- Integrated black barenia leather strap with red or black stitching
- Folding clasp in DLC-coated steel
Jovan Krstevski – Founder, Proprietor & Executive Editor
Watch collector, aficionado and a Event profile in the Swedish nightlife. He launched Watchgeek back in 2011, which is now known as WristReview. He quotes ’WristReview is a site to help people find, explore, discover and enjoy wristwatches.’ His passion jump started in his early teens, when he was given his first mid-range wristwatch which was an Omega Seamaster. Since then he has always been in love with wristwatches!
P.S He is also a big fan of The Man of Steel/Superman.