By Jovan Krstevski
The mid-20th century witnessed the invention of the regulator, serving to balance the pressure between the diver’s lungs and the compressed air reserves. This invention boosted the spread of scuba diving and the emergence of instruments designed to accompany sports enthusiasts. In 1961, Vulcain presented one of the first diver’s watches with an alarm movement that was genuinely audible under water: the Nautical. Its strike represents a precious function which – thanks to its triple case-back serving as a resonance chamber – effectively warns divers that it is time to return to the surface. In 2013, Vulcain pays tribute to this legendary model by creating a DLC limited edition.
“This highly durable, charcoal grey layer with a low friction coefficient consists of an atomic lattice composed of the two forms of carbon: diamond (sp³) and graphite (sp²). Diamondblack DLC (Diamond-Like Carbon) is applied using a coating process which faithfully mirrors the original surface finishes. Diamondblack DLC consists solely of molecules of carbon and hydrogen arranged in a structure similar to that of diamond, producing a layer with excellent chemical stability and high corrosion resistance. Its proven biocompatibility enables prolonged contact with the skin without causing irritation.”
It has a very high level of hardness, around 5,000 Vickers, compared to stainless steel, approximately 200 Vickers. This high-tech coating is used in the aerospace industry and in any application in which wear resistance and a low friction coefficient are essential.
100-piece Limited Edition
- Case: DLC-coated satin-brushed, polished black knurled bezel
- Case-back: triple case-back serving as a resonance chamber and enabling underwater use of the alarm function
- Dial: black
- Diameter: 42.00 mm
- Thickness: 17.30 mm
- Glass: plexi
- Water resistance: 30 ATM
VULCAIN CRICKET MANUFACTURE CALIBRE V-10
- Movement: mechanical 12-lignes manually-wound alarm movement, 25 jewels, 157 parts, twin barrels, equipped with Exactomatic system, 48° angle of lift
- Decoration: nickel coating, blued screws
- Functions: hours, minutes, central seconds, alarm, fixeddial with decompression-table indication and 60-minute graduated rotating inner bezel ring activated by a screwlocked crown at 4 o’clock
- Frequency: 18,000 vibrations/hour
- Power reserve: 42 hours
- Alarm duration: approx. 20 seconds
- Strap: rubberised waterproofed leather black
- Dimensions: 22/18 mm
- Buckle: DLC-coated steel pin buckle
Jovan Krstevski – Founder, Proprietor & Executive Editor
Watch collector, aficionado and a Event profile in the Swedish nightlife. He launched Watchgeek back in 2011, which is now known as WristReview. He quotes ’WristReview is a site to help people find, explore, discover and enjoy wristwatches.’ His passion jump started in his early teens, when he was given his first mid-range wristwatch which was an Omega Seamaster. Since then he has always been in love with wristwatches!
P.S He is also a big fan of The Man of Steel/Superman.